The people at the Harris Poll Company released some memorable excuses for not coming in to work:
1) My mother poisoned me with a ham.
2) I got stuck under the bed.
3) I broke my arm while trying to grab a falling sandwich.
4) The universe told me to take a day off.
5) My wife learned I was cheating, and I had to recover my belongings from the dumpster.
6) My wife put all my underwear in the washer.
7) The doctor said I need more vitamin D, so I went to the beach.
For every responsibility in life, there is an almost limitless supply of bad excuses.
Mike Shannon is professor of preaching at the Russell School of Ministry of Cincinnati Christian University in Cincinnati, Ohio.
View more sermon illustrations for inspiration for your next message.