I have one son in college and another three years away from college, but it’s always helpful to remember they grew up in a world very different than the one in which I grew up.
For years, the Beloit College Mindset List has been an amusing and enlightening look at the life experiences of each year’s batch of college freshmen. Here’s a look at the start of this year’s list:
“Students heading into their first year of college this year are mostly 18 and were born in 1997.
“Among those who never have been alive in their lifetimes are Princess Diana, Notorious B.I.G., Jacques Cousteau and Mother Teresa.
“Joining them in the world the year they were born were Dolly the sheep, The McCaughey septuplets and Michael “Prince” Jackson Jr.
“Since they have been on the planet:
1. Hybrid automobiles always have been mass produced.
2. Google always has been there, in its founding words, ‘to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible.’
3. They never have licked a postage stamp.
4. Email has become the new formal communication, while texts and tweets remain enclaves for the casual.
5. Four foul-mouthed kids always have been playing in South Park.
6. Hong Kong always has been under Chinese rule.
7. They have grown up treating Wi-Fi as an entitlement.”
I’ll include more of the list below. Read, enjoy, and realize how old we are!