A wise carpenter takes care of his tools. A gifted surgeon cares for her instruments. A pilot makes sure the aircraft has been well maintained.
As a preacher, your most important physical tool is your voice, and it is important to protect it. Speaker/Voice Coach Joni Wilson shares some tips that will help you care for your communication tool, your voice.
- Never whisper if you are losing your voice. You risk damaging your vocal cords.
- Excessive heat and air-conditioning will be dehydrating to your vocal cords.
- Use of decongestants when you have a cold will dry up mucous. This will make your voice sound rough and scratchy.
- Don’t clear your throat – instead, sip water to relax your larynx.
- Have a cough? Don’t use cough drops with menthol. The cooling factor in menthol will freeze your cords. (Monday Morning Mindfulness)